Ever have that sweet tooth attack late at night, but don’t want to commit to an entire piece of cake or pint of ice cream? (Though some nights call for that kind of commitment).
Even well-before the sugar cravings of pregnancy hit, this mug cake has saved me from a few nighttime sweet tooth attacks. Ready in 90 seconds, this single-serving of molten chocolate cake is the perfect few bites to cap off the night on a sweet note.
There are a million and one microwave mug cakes out there, but this is the only one I ever use. It has been tweaked and edited over time to be my go-to mug cake. The reasons I love this particular version are:
- It’s a smaller, perfectly portioned mug cake.
- It’s the perfect amount of sweet. Not too much, not too little.
- There are no eggs in it. Some mug cakes call for 1/2 of one egg and I’m sorry, but eggs are not easily halved.
- The texture is wonderful. Not rubbery at all. And I usually use dark chocolate chips which gives it a rich, molten-chocolate lava center that is to die for.
- It uses pantry and fridge ingredients I always keep on hand…just in case.
The last ingredient is totally up to you and so you can make a hundred variations of this chocolate mug cake depending on what you like. I suggest some things like chocolate chips, a nut butter, jam or Nutella, but you do you, friend. This is your sweet treat so go crazy.
90 SECOND MUG CAKE
- Yields: 1 single serving
- 3 Tbsp. unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. 100% cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. pure honey
- 3 Tbsp. of milk *I like to use almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. of oil *I use coconut, but any neutral oil will work like canola or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. of chocolate chips and/or nut butter, jam, Nutella, etc.
- In a small coffee mug, add all the dry ingredients (flour through sea salt) and use a fork to whisk everything together. Then add in the wet ingredients to the mug (honey through oil) and whisk again until well-combined. Drop in your tablespoon of either chocolate chips, nut butter, jam, Nutella, etc. to the center and don’t stir it in. Microwave for 90 seconds and serve with a glass of ice cold milk.