I have never been to Thailand and make no claims that this is exactly what you’ll find when it comes to authentic Pad Thai, but I can promise you three things about this recipe: 1) it’s delicious 2) it’s ridiculously easy & fast and 3) it features all-natural ingredients.
Once we made this, Husband and I were pretty embarrassed to think about the number of times we’ve paid $15+ for delivery pad thai. Maybe enough to actually take a trip to Thailand…
This version is vegetarian, but feel free to add some browned chicken or sautéed shrimp on top if you’d like. And keep that Sriracha handy if you want to add more spice in the end.
EASY PAD THAI
- Inspired by Brownies For Dinner
- Yields: 2 servings
- 8 oz. dried, wide & flat pad thai/stir fry rice noodles *I use Thai Kitchen brand
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice, plus extra wedges for serving
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha, plus more for serving if desired
- 3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 5 green onions, white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup roasted, lightly salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Optional: 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Soak noodles according to package instructions and then drain. *Mine required 10 minutes of soaking in extra hot water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly without burning for 1 minute. Add the beaten eggs and cook, scraping with a spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 to 60 seconds). Transfer the eggs to a separate plate.
- Add the sauce to the skillet/wok and deglaze for a few seconds. Then add in the cooked noodles and green onions. Toss everything together until noodles are soft and have absorbed the sauce, about 1 minute. Add back in the egg mixture and chopped peanuts and toss everything together until well-mixed.
- Serve the pad thai with lime wedges, extra chopped peanuts and/or sliced green onions and chopped cilantro (if desired).