These might as well be little dessert bites…they taste so good! They are the perfect thing to make a big batch of and then pop one or two between meals or before a workout. They are great post-dinner as well when you just need a little “something sweet” to end the day. I don’t believe in calorie counting, but I do like to think they are healthier since you control the added sugar (in the form of all-natural honey here) and they feature good-for-you-seeds and heart-healthy dark chocolate. So basically like kale bites, friends.
The recipe is really forgiving too so just use what you have on hand. Add a different kind of nut butter or seeds or mixture of the ones you like. Toss in some cocoa powder to up the chocolate flavor if you want to. Either way, you’re about to have a delicious little snack on hand.
- Inspired by Smashed Peas and Carrots
- Yields: 20-24 energy bites
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of pure (no sugar added) almond or peanut butter (or half & half OR other nut butter)
- 1/3 cup pure honey
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup flaxseeds (or chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until well-combined. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once cold, roll each ball (about 2 Tbsp.) in the palm of your hand. Repeat until the bowl is empty. Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.