Ever wonder what exactly goes into those chain pizzas? Added sugars? Dough conditioners? Hydrogenated oils?
What if I told you that you could have homemade pizza–100% from scratch (dough, sauce and everything) with no mystery ingredients–that is ready in the time it would to take you to order & wait on delivery? Keep reading!
Homemade pizza is a Friday night staple in the Huber house. Guess that’s what happens when you get older and the idea of going out sounds way less appealing than eating pizza in your PJs at 7pm…
The sauce is ready in about 20 minutes which is the time it will take your oven and pizza stone to heat up. Meanwhile, you’ll be making the crust. A super simple, one-bowl crust that takes exactly 0 minutes to rise. The pizza bakes in another 15-20 minutes which means you can be sitting down to homemade pizza and a glass of wine in less than hour–start to finish.
ONE HOUR PIZZA FROM SCRATCH
- Yields: 4-6 servings
For the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. can of no-salt added, pure tomato sauce + 1/2 can of water
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
For the dough:
- 1 packet (or 2 1/2 tsp.) active yeast
- 1 cup warm water (hot water from the tap is easiest)
- 2 1/2 cups bread (or unbleached, all-purpose) flour
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
For the pizza:
- Pictured toppings: Two 8 oz. balls of fresh mozzarella (sliced into rounds), nitrate-free pepperoni, extra torn basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Other suggested toppings: Italian sausage, black olives, bell peppers, etc. Whatever your heart desires!
- First, start the sauce: In a large skillet, heat your olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute 7-10 minutes until soft and transparent. Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients, plus 1/2 can of water, and bring it up to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes while you make the dough. Stir occasionally.
- For the pizza dough: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) with your pizza stone inside the oven too. In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let it stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat/roll into a round circle big enough to cover your pizza stone. Pull out your pizza stone from the oven and dust with a bit of extra flour. Transfer your rolled out dough to the pizza stone and trim any edges.
- To assemble the pizza: Spread on the sauce first, cheese next, and then with your desired toppings. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.