Today is a very important national holiday. It’s National Dog Day, everybody! A day to celebrate one of the best four-legged creatures God created. Dogs are a wonderful embodiment of unconditional love and a constant workout buddy, source of cuddles, and lifetime companion. Seriously, what did we do to deserve dogs?
Our pup is pretty darn spoiled, but I justify it because I’m trying to make up for the first 6 months of her life before she was rescued. These pupcakes are super easy and a great use of a too-ripe banana. I usually try to top them with a cute-shaped little treat, but all we had on hand was kibble. Savvy didn’t mind.
Hope you celebrate the four-legged friend (or friends) in your life today!
PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA PUPCAKES
- Inspired by We Are Not Martha
- Yields: apprx. 10 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter *be sure to check the ingredients that there are NO added sugars. You must use peanut butter that contains nothing but peanuts.
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- mini cute-shaped dog treats or kibble for decorating the top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend together the peanut butter, banana, eggs and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats and baking powder and stir together. With the mixer on low, add your dry ingredients to the wet and blend until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 of the way. Top with a shaped treat or with a few pieces of their favorite kibble. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Wait to serve until fully cooled.