Potatoes. Pasta. Bread. My favorite food group ever: carbs. To balance this out, I love to make Chrissy Teigan’s lettuce wraps. They make yet another super easy weekday lunch recipe so they’re featured here today under meal prep. However, we make them just as often for dinner too.
I don’t often follow the eating advice of world-famous super models (are they even allowed to eat cheese?), but Chrissy Teigan is one I can get behind. She absolutely LOVES food, celebrates it and practices my personal favorite way to eat healthy: moderation. Sometimes you eat the cheeseburger and sometimes you eat the salad. Either way, just make sure they taste good.
So if you’re eating a little lighter this week, check out these lettuce wraps. They’d also make a great party appetizer as well. They are from Chrissy’s amazing cookbook, Cravings which I highly recommend to any and all food-lovers.
- Inspired by Chrissy Teigan
- Yields: 5 lunch servings
For the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Sriracha
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced; whites and greens separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 8 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and cleaned *you can either finely chop them or add to a food processor and puree them if you’re married to someone who doesn’t like mushrooms and have to sneak them into recipes
- 8 oz. canned, diced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), finely chopped
- 2 heads of living butter lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed and dried
- For the sauce: In a medium mixing bowl, add all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot & shimmering, add your ground chicken plus 2 Tbsp. of the sauce. Cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking up the ground chicken as you go. Transfer to a separate plate once cooked & set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil and the scallion whites, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1 minute. Then add your mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, return the cooked ground chicken to the pan and add the water chestnuts, bell pepper and the rest of the sauce. Stir to combine and cook everything for 3-4 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in your scallion greens.
- If serving immediately, transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and set out with the lettuce leaves. If using for meal prep lunches, divide the filling evenly into five Tupperware containers and refrigerate until ready to serve. Divide the lettuce leaves evenly into 5 separate containers or 5 plastic Ziploc bags. When ready to eat, heat the filling in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes before serving with the lettuce leaves.