A few years ago, we spent Christmas in Victoria, TX with my in-laws. As most Texas, Christmases go, it was sunny & 75 and perfect patio weather. Out at the Huber farm, there are beautiful orange trees and we’d just returned with a few buckets full of freshly picked ones. With an abundance of meyer lemons also on hand, my mother-in-law expertly suggested making margaritas–subbing the sour/tart lime flavor of traditional margs with the meyer lemons. And so this cocktail was born. And the rest is history.
ORANGE & MEYER LEMON MARGARITAS
- Yields: 4 drinks
- 1 cup of good quality tequila
- 3/4 cup grand marnier or triple sec
- 1 cup simple syrup *directions below
- 3/4 cup meyer lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 3/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- For the simple syrup: In a small saucepan over high heat, bring 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup white sugar up to a boil. Let it boil for 1 minute and then take it off the heat to cool. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the tequila, grand marnier/triple sec, simple syrup, meyer lemon juice and orange juice in a large pitcher. Serve over ice or chill until ready to serve. You can garnish the pitcher with thin orange or meyer lemon slices, if desired.