A love of baking can bring best friends together. It sure has for Jenn and me. We have been friends for 15 years now and we share a love of all things delicious. This is her famous peach pie recipe…with a few blueberries added in too. It is best served warm (versus hot out of the oven). Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream either.
JENN’S PEACH PIE WITH BLUEBERRIES
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2 of your favorite 9-inch refrigerated, roll-out pie crusts OR your favorite homemade pie crust recipe doubled
- 5 cups (1 peach is approximately 1 cup) of sliced peaches, skin removed
- 2 cups of blueberries
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar (or up to 3/4 cup of sugar depending on how sweet your peaches are)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten plus 1 Tbsp. water
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Butter or grease a deep-dish 9 in. pie pan. Roll out one of the pie crusts to fit the pan and remove any extra crust on the edge.
- In a large bowl, combine your sliced peaches, blueberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Stir gently until everything is well-coated and thoroughly combined.
- Pour your filling into your pan. Roll out the second 9 in. crust onto a well-floured counter and use a knife to cut it into strips. Place the strips in a lattice pattern over the top and remove any overlapping crust.
- Brush the lattice top lightly with the egg wash. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and allow to bake an additional 30-35 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top of the pie is nicely browned.
- Allow the pie to cool for about 20-30 minutes before serving as it tastes better warm than hot.