This recipe was born after an epic, calorie-laden trip to New Orleans a few years ago to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. After starting every morning with cafe au lait and one (or three) sugary beneigts, Husband and I ate and drank our way through the historic city for 5 solid days. Upon returning home, we nearly started a juice cleanse, but decided to opt for real food with a focus on fruits and vegetables. This summer salad was a refreshing break from the heavy Cajun fare of NOLA and features farmers market staples like peaches and blueberries that are abundant this time of year. We also use this balsamic vinaigrette weekly now as it is ridiculously easy and tastes far better than anything from a bottle.
BLUEBERRY, PEACH & GOAT CHEESE CHICKEN SALAD WITH HOMEMADE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- Yields: 4 salads
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp. good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. honey
For the salad:
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bag (approximately 6 cups) of spinach
- 2 cups of spring mix
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- 2 ripe peaches, diced
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the balsamic dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- When your skillet is hot, add 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add your chicken and allow to cook about 6-7 minutes. Flip and cook another 5-6 minutes until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees. Set aside to rest before slicing.
- While the chicken is resting, you can assemble the salad. On two large plates, divide the spinach and arugula evenly per plate. Next, add your blueberries, diced peaches, and sliced red onion. Crumble the goat cheese on top.
- Slice or dice up your chicken breasts and lay them on top of the salad. Drizzle each salad with dressing. Serve immediately.